Sunday, January 09, 2005

Wet Weekend

I said in my last post that I had some ribs to fix when ever the weather cooperates.

Well so far it hasn't.

It has rained pretty much off and on since last weekend. (no outside cooking at all)

Sigh...

We got a Black Lab this week from a lady that was helping a rescue shelter hold her until she found a good home.

She found one, we will give her all the love she deserves.
Her name is Sweetie and she is 3 yrs. old.
She's a big black teddy bear.


Since I can't cook any ribs, that don't mean we can't talk about them.
This is how I fix mine.

Ribs can be done on a grill, on a off set cooker, in a cabinet smoker, in a WSM, (Weber smokey mountain) or a Brinkman... and even in the oven.

But great ribs, I mean GREAT ribs are done outside. You can't get that good smoke flavor in the oven (even if you use liquid Smoke) which I don't care for, so I don't use it.

I have done my ribs in the oven and they are good but, not the same as outside ribs.

As you know ribs come in - baby backs and slabs- (St. Louis style are cut from slabs)
I like both, but slabs offer more meat at a good price. So it's up to you.

Prep:

This sometimes involves some work on your part or you can ask your butcher to do it.

Do what?

Remove the membrane on the bone side of the ribs, this must be done to have top notch ribs that you can be proud of ( if it is not removed the ribs will be hard to pull apart and won't cook as good)

So get rid of it, to do it yourself - get a flat cookie sheet pan - place the ribs meat side down - start at the bone and prick it up so you can get a hold of the membrane - after this is done I get a towel to grip it and pull - pull off as much as you can.

Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's a pain in the butt. Believe me it's worth the effort.

Ok, this being done it's time to season the ribs.

There are many good rubs to be bought or made at home.
Most basic rubs are pretty standard.

Bill Arnold of Blues Hog has some great rubs and sauces that he makes. He has many friends in the world of bbq.

Bill is a pit master - cafe owner - pit builder- and rub and sauce maker - just some of the many hats he wears.

Give him a try at WWW.blueshog.com

With the ribs still bone side up - Spread your rub and work it in - then flip and spread the rub on the meat side - again work it in.

Let the ribs sit a few mins. and then place them in a 2 1/2 gal. Zip Lock bag. Place in the fridge over night.

Remove from fridge and let ribs come to room temperature at least 1 hr. to remove the chill of being cold.

Pre heat and wood: I 'm not going to list every method here. I will later on direct and indirect cooking.

Wood: I like Pecan wood for the smoke and flavor that it gives to meat. (pork-steaks-chicken)
Some like Hickory or Oak. I like Pecan. That's about all I use now for the Hollands and the smoker.

Next Up: Pre heat - Direct and indirect cooking (sorry- Sweetie has to go out to do her thing)

Macdaddy























No comments: