Sunday, December 12, 2010

This & That...



It's coming...

...bad weather. Snow, freezing rain, bone chilling cold and wind chills below ZERO!

Great...

The winds are up now. Gust as high as 35 mph with nothing between it and us but cold air. Snow is in the forecast for today and Monday. Freezing rain and sleet on Wednesday.

Now, I can deal with snow. Snow is not that hard to drive on until it turns to hard packed slick snow. Then it might as well be ice down here. You see, we have hills and valleys all over Tennessee. Very few straight roads...

There is a hump, a dip, a drop, a hill, a slope, a curve, something...in almost every road in every direction you travel. Snow makes driving bad. But freezing rain, is the worst thing that can happen to hill country.

Now, I will admit that Southern drivers are not made well for this kind of weather. We can handle pouring rain, mud slides, and dodging skunks, possums and squirrels and sometimes deer, (although I think deer take out more cars than slick roads do) but we just ain't good at driving in cold bad weather.

It's like asking a dog to stop lickin'...it ain't going to happen.

We don't...(what's that word?) adapt well...to snow and ice or cold weather. Sure we loved it as kids, but having responsibility now, it's like night and day, hot and cold. I don't do cold well...

If you may remember in Jan. of this year, I slipped and fell flat on my back re fracturing two ribs I had fractured 30 years before in a car wreck. That fall on ice in the parking lot at work, took me 6 months to recover from. I still feel those ribs today...

I see why bears go into caves and groundhogs go into dens.

For the same reasons we Southerners have two simple words run through our minds every time winter comes through our part of the woods.

What are those two simple words...you might ask?


Screw this...

B.D.

1 comment:

Natalia said...

Nice! Happy holidays to everyone!