Sunday, November 29, 2009

Weekend Report...

I finally got to fire up R2D2 (on left) yesterday and I like it.



Of course chicken was the first sacrifice to R2D2 and it came out great. Leg quarters cooked for 2 1/2 hours at 275 to 250 - rested for 15 minutes.

The smoker would jump to 275 when the access door was opened to add wood or charcoal, when the door was replaced it took about 10 minutes to settle back down to 250 and hover there just chugging along. I never lifted the lid to look at the chick until 2 hours in. I figured it would take 2 1/2 to 3 hours cooking time.

Big Momma cooks leg quarters at 3 hours at 250 so I based this on that theory and checked the temperature of the leg quarters at 2 hours in because of the smoker being smaller and closer to the heat. They were at 170 degrees steady.

I knew from experience that it would take another 20 to 30 minutes to reach 180 degrees at this stage of cooking at 250. So inside I went to start up the sides and check the score of whatever game was playing at the time.

Leg quarters came off, rested, plated, and devoured.



These were some of the BEST smoked leg quarters that have ever come into this kitchen. I've done some Righteous smoked chicken plenty of times but this was the most Righteous chicken that has ever walked through that door.

I can't wait to do some beer butt chicken, some ribs, Boston butt, brisket, anything I can get my hands on. This little WSM will fit right in with the repertoire of cooking gear I have.

Welcome aboard little buddy...

B.D.

No comments: