Sunday, February 13, 2005

Barbecue?

I picked up a recipe magazine at the store the other day (I won't say the name of the magazine) but it is a well respected and often read magazine.

It had some good looking recipes in it, so I bought it and took it home for later reading and study.

Upon further study, I saw recipes called "Barbecued" that for the life of me, I really couldn't find anything "barbecued" about them.

Nada-nothing-zilch- what gives? Can anything be called Barbecued and not be?

Evidently so.

This is so confusing.

Barbecued Meatloaf, the only thing I could find close to barbecue was a can of tomato sauce.

Does tomato sauce make a meatloaf in the oven Barbecued? (I've been eating meatloaf most of my life and I thought barbecued meant Barbecue Sauce - in or on the meatloaf.


Another one is Chuck Roast Barbecue.

Again the only thing in it even remotely close to barbecue is 1/2 cup of ketchup and 1 tbl. spoon of cider vinegar.

What gives?

Now one recipe called "Chicken Barbecue" actually had a bottle of barbecue sauce in the recipe.

So this one can be called "Barbecued" Right? Right?? Right???

But I have never seen so many so called "Barbecue Recipes" that don't have anything in them to make them Barbecued.

Maybe that's why somebody started spelling it Barbeque ( I'm not a historian I don't know)

So anything can be called Barbecued and not really be?????

I am sooo...confused.


Macdaddy

No comments: