Monday, May 28, 2007

Now the fun begins...



Pictured below in the group picture of Robbie, myself, Evan, and Mark and (I'm sorry) I for the life of me can't remember the fifth gentleman's name. I met so many new people this year and I was so focused on what I was doing that I forgot some names (my bad) so I owe an apology to them.

Sorry guys...I'll do better next year with remembering names.

But, back to my original reason for this post. Do you realize (as well as myself) that I am standing beside probably one of the most famous men from New York?

Evan Lobel and his brother Mark. So I would be standing beside two of the most famous men from New York. Lobel's of New York is one of our many fine Sponsors that helps our team out every year.

I met Evan for the first time last year, and I was in awe of the man. Here I am, a total rookie (but a accomplished cook in my own right) meeting the man I had read about in many magazines.

And what I had heard about Lobel's, their stature and skills was enough in it self, but to actually meet the man...me...just a plain old southern country boy trying to learn a thing or two.

I watched Evan as he worked his magic (I stayed out of his way) afterwards I asked him some questions about what he did. Did he look at me like...who the hell are you? No...He talked to me about everything, this busy man, took the time, his time, to answer all my questions. The man gained my utmost respect that day.

As he watched me work and saw my passion for wanting to learn barbecue, I began to earn his respect, and by the time it was all over, we were friends.

Now...we are good friends, he knows my loyalty to Carey can never be questioned, I'm all about this team doing the very best we can do and all about having fun too. We bust our butts all week doing what we love to do...that's cooking baby.

So...here I am standing beside one of the most well known men in New York when it comes to beef.

But...that may work two ways. After last night, doing my grilled hot wings on the Weber, they looked awesome... no blip in appearance what- so- ever...these babies were perfect in every way.

So next year when I bring the Weber to Memphis in May for the Hot Wings contest, Evan may be standing next to the most famous man from Tennessee...

After last night...

I will be World Champion in Hot Wings next year.

So Evan, I saved that cigar you gave me this year, we will fire it up next year when you take first place in beef and I take first place for wings. And if we break the top five for shoulders, I'll buy the beer to go along with that fine cigar.

Peg Leg Porkers will be Grand Champions, just wait and see...

B.D.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'm rootin for ya'll to bring it home all the way next year! {:-). I could've swore I stood outside one night and could smell all that good ole BBQ all the way from Memphis.{:-) We couldn't make it this year. Just waay to much going on lately. We are hoping to make it next year to Memphis though. Hubs Dad lives there still, so we'll pile up on him. He lives just minutes away from downtown. Sounds like ya'll had a good weekend. Here's to hoping ya'll have a great rest of the week too. {:-)