Sunday, January 13, 2008

Weekend Report part II...




Things went very well yesterday, with my son Bruce and his girlfriend Amanda.

I should call her the f-word since they are engaged, but I won't here because I can say it... I just don't know how to spell it.

I will say she is a sweet heart and it seems that love, has finally softened my son's heart quite a bit. So everything was just lovely.

I had bought a few slabs of ribs from Wally World (a few days before) with just the intent of practicing trimming and cutting St. Louis style ribs, (which I did effortlessly on the first try by the way) and just play with the sauce on a full rack of ribs instead of riblets.

Dang, that was easy ( I thought to myself ) so the second slab was done with the confidence and skill of a fine surgeon. I rubbed them both and let them sit for awhile, as I got my small cabinet smoker up to heat and let 'em rip for about four hours. I came in and made the bbq sauce (and that bbq sauce was a huge hit with them they loved it).

I just served the sauce on the side, instead of on the ribs, with corn on the cob and smoked pork-n-beans ( I didn't have any baked beans). Both my son and Amanda were just blown away.

I'm telling you, I knew I could get that sauce recipe to work if I just found the right combination. And I did finally stumble up on it. This sauce will be like the rub, I think it will work on just about anything.

I'm glad and happy that maybe, just maybe, we can put the past behind us and start over to build the father and son relationship that has been sadly lacking in both of our lives for all of these years. So...



On to other news...

I began wondering "Where are my gauges that I ordered for the pit?"
Haven't been shipped yet.

What the #&#& do you mean, they haven't been shipped yet...

Yada, yada, yada... we've had ...yada, yada, yada, and we promise that...yada, yada, yada...

For crying out loud...anyway, like they say, they're in the mail. I've got a guy from work that will weld the jacks on the trailer as soon as the weather will cooperate.

So...I'm still in standby mode as the pit goes, but it will all shake out here shortly.

I have added a link to Rob Marlow's site Ulika Food Blog. Rob is the fine fellow I bought the pit from. Rob has his own competition team and he enjoys cooking and playing around with new recipes, so check out his blog and see what Rob is up to.

I've got to put a desk together for Robyn's computer today, so I'm out of here...

Enjoy your day!!!
B.D.

No comments: