Saturday, January 05, 2008

Weekend Report...



I made some sauce (with tomato sauce as the base) Thursday and gave it to the boys at work Friday to take home and try. Last night, I made a sauce using ketchup as the base and used hot chili powder instead of regular.

It made the sauce darker, but I can't tell any difference as far as taste. Neither one, comes close to a bottled sauce. But...that's not my main objective in creating a sauce from scratch. The objective is to have it complement the rub and the meat.

I don't want it spicy or hot. I want it to be used as a finishing sauce or a dipping sauce, whichever way you want to use it. I'll wait and see what the boys say before I proceed any farther with that recipe base.

In this case of being (my alter ego) Doctor Pyro, Julie is not much help.

She likes Bull's-Eye bbq sauce. Something is missing and I don't know what it is...




I don't want to copy Bull's-Eye bbq sauce or copy Carey's Peg Leg sauce. I want my own signature sauce that says this is my barbecue, my stuff. A good cook or a great cook will learn from others, that's only natural, but they would never take credit for hard work someone else did and call it their own...

Good and great recipes are born with trial and error, luck, and persistence of a final goal in mind. Make it work...

A recipe must work. If it doesn't, what good is it?

Just to have bragging rights?

If it doesn't work, there won't be much to brag about Jethro, because in a nut shell, it will suck...period.

How hard can making a recipe for a barbecue sauce be?

Well, it's not that complicated, but it's not that easy neither. It's all about taste, that's the key to any recipe...taste. Especially barbecue.

I've eaten some good 'Q' and I've eaten some bad 'Q'

Was it the meat or the sauce?

Both...

A vinegar sauce is almost impossible to screw up, but a tomato based sauce can go south in a hurry. As far as mine goes, I have a very good foundation I can build on. I just have to find the right building blocks to add to it.

That's the hard part...

Enjoy your day!!!



B.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT foundation for tomato based sauce, based on rubbed chicken breasts last night. The kids were dipping their broccoli in it. If we don't touch base tonight I assume the board will be meeting early tomorrow A.M.

Jeff