Tuesday, October 24, 2006

And then there was one...

Today, I got to meet Harold Ford Jr.

As most of you know, I work for Ford Motor Company. The UAW brought Harold through the plant for a visit and I got to meet him and spend some time talking to him. The UAW is mostly for Democrats, as the Democrats seem to be more on the side of the working man.

I don't consider myself a Democrat or a Republican, I am for the man or woman I think will get the job done.

But what I do consider with high regard is a person's hand shake. If you are a wet noodle hand shaker, I won't have much to do with you. If you have a firm hand shake, then I will give you my attention, I believe that a firm hand shake is as good as your word, you will honor it.

Mr. Ford gave me a firm hand shake and never once talked about getting my vote or about politics, he just wanted to know what I was doing and about my job.

Over the 29 years in my position, I have met many important people, and many, I have not been impressed with. Hand shakes are a dime a dozen and I have had some pretty lame ones from some powerful men. But some powerful men have firm hand shakes... as do ordinary men.

I was always brought up to honor your word with a firm hand shake. That's your word.

Thanks Harold...for taking the time to shake my hand, firmly...

(Harold's hand shake was firm and very welcome in a world of fake people.)

It was a honor to meet you sir...

B.D.

No comments: