Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weekend Report...



What a weekend...

Big Mama came to life yesterday, as I went out and started charcoal at 4:30 in the morning. She was ready to go by 6:30.

It had rained Friday night and things were just a tad bit damp, but we overcame that and marched forward into the daylight.

The Boston butts went on first, then the chicken, then the beef short ribs and finally the pork ribs. I played with Big Mama just to see how fast or slow she would react and what the out come would be if I did this or if I did that...

You must know your cooker backwards and forwards, the little tricks, the relationship every pit master makes with his or her cooker is very important.

Big Mama will serve me well at bulk cooking, but at competitions...that might not work...here's why.

About midway through the cook yesterday, it began to rain...(twice)

I covered the charcoal and wood, but it rained just steady enough to start cooling off the firebox, which in turn started cooling off the cooker. That put me behind by a good hour and a half...if not two.

That won't work...

Everything came out good in the end, but at competitions, I don't have that luxury of being good or late...it must be excellent and on time. So unless some major work is done to the trailer, she won't see competitions anymore...

The family chowed down well last night...
(Mishy, Granny, Dale, Tommy, Honey, Blondie, Tootie and me...Big Daddy)

So...not bad for a first time fire up. I need to do some fine tuning on Big Mama, but she and I will become best friends...


I didn't take any pictures but Blondie did, they should be posted on Dave's site
A Motley Collection sometime today...

Well... I've got to go clean up my mess from yesterday.

Oh...and Sweetie was simply beside herself because she could smell the smoke...she just couldn't find me...

Enjoy your day!!!

B.D.

No comments: