Friday, April 08, 2005

Reply to a comment

On the post Grilled Baby- back Ribs, 4me2know2 (God bless you whoever you are) asked...

"Have you tried steaming the ribs before grilling?"

The long answer... no.

Because for this reason...I think you lose some flavor from the meat when you...
A: boil before grilling (you lose the flavor from the fat and the bone)
B: broil before grilling (again the same argument)
C: steam before grilling...no
D: It's a sin to do the above... no matter how much beer is involved... (G)


Now...I will not argue about putting a pan of water under the grill grate for moisture while grilling... direct or indirect, so you could say you are steaming the ribs while you are grilling, to help keep them moist or from drying out.


But to boil, broil, or even steam before grilling (or smoking) to help you have tender (fall off the bone ribs) no...

Now, I'm not saying you are wrong to do this... whatever works for you or your style of cooking or grilling.

Me myself...I just don't believe in it... I really think it robs the meat of flavor.

That's just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your comment.

Macdaddy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats the wrong answer. Its a sin. You Have a closed mine you have never tried it but you have all the answers for not doing it. It will cut the cooking time in half. Make the ribs tender less greasy less flare ups. You want to steam them about half done with all the spices on them before steaming. Make sure its not steamed done. The bone is not pulling away from the meat.