Saturday, April 09, 2005

Weekend Report

Well, got the grass cut and cleaned the Holland and grilled some Leg Quarters. Woo Hoo!!!

The weather forecast is very nice for this weekend. (about time)


Let me say a few more things about ribs or any meat... boiled, broiled, or steamed.

Now I know there are a lot of recipes that call for doing this, then to finish them on the grill.

I'm not saying... I am right, and they are wrong, far from it.


I just don't do it...because I believe this takes away for the whole grilling concept.
And you lose a lot of good flavor.


By this I mean when you boil, broil, or steam, the meat is already cooked... before it hits the grill.

You don't get the smoke into the ribs or any other meat because... it is already cooked, it won't take the smoke...


By doing this it is assured you will have tender ribs no doubt about it...but at what cost?


I try to stay with the BBQ method...low and slow.

To cook ribs by direct heat is not low and slow.


Indirect is the better method for the grill.


But by direct grilling you must make sure... they don't dry out and they don't over cook and still get fall off the bone ribs.

You can add a pan of water under the grill grate and by wrapping them in foil you will get tender ribs.


Now, again I'm not saying don't do this (boil, broil, or steam)

I just don't do it... that is what the foil is for.


People that smoke ribs (on pits or by an offset pit) would never do this... you lose the flavor and you can't get the smoke into the meat. (this is the trick)

And that's the key to great ribs, smoke...flavor...and fall off the bone tender.


That's just my 2 cents.

Macdaddy

No comments: