Thursday, July 12, 2007

Simply Thursday...(part II)


Pictured below, are the beer butt chickens done on the Weber. Time was 1 hr 45 mins.

Also, I used Italian dressing this time for the marinade instead of Olive oil & Vinegar.

This was the first time I did them on the Weber. They just barely did fit...but they were excellent. Meanwhile...

I have spent the past two days working on a "from scratch" bbq rub recipe. Now... I have plenty of these around, so I tried a few...needless to say...they sucked. I started working on my own recipe. I was almost ready to give up, when I asked Pat Martin for some help.

Now, it's cool to ask for help... everybody needs help now and again, but you have to know who to ask. So...I asked Pat, he has his own bbq place, so why not go to the source. My problem was my salt and sugar were not balanced out, making one mix too sweet, the next one too bitter and so on and so forth...

So...after talking to Pat, I went to Sam's and picked up some supplies and with pen and paper in hand, I started experimenting...again.

This time, on the second try, I think I nailed it. I won't know for sure until I do a test run on a rack of ribs, maybe Friday. Next...it's time for the sauce recipe. Sauce is hard to screw up, but it can be done. I've pretty much got that down in my head, just putting it to paper hasn't been done yet.

"Um...B.D. why are you doing this?"

Because... if (and when) I start cooking bbq to sell, it would cost me a small fortune to keep mixing pantry stuff. I'll have the from scratch recipes for rub and sauce and can buy things in bulk and save money. And...like Pat said to me, it's something I can call my own.

So...there it is, a work in progress.
B.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice looking chicken...just the right motivation for some beer butts I was planning for tomorrow...Thanks....Uncle Matty