Friday, July 13, 2007

This & That...



The recipe for the beer butt chickens is pretty simple. And this is my recipe...by the way, so you know it works.

First, you can marinade them in Newman's Own Olive oil & Vinegar, or Newman's Own Italian for about a hour and a half. I just use a two gallon zip lock bag, and turn them every 15 mins..

Second, after taking them out of the bag, I dust them with Emeril's Chicken rub.

Third, I use Modelo beer, with some chopped Garlic added to the beer.

These birds weighted about 3.25 lbs. a piece. When I buy whole birds, I try to get as close to the same weight as I can.

They cooked for 1 hour 45 mins. centered over a water pan, with charcoal banked on both sides of the pan, and of course smoked with Pecan wood. They could have gone 2 hrs. and still been fine.

Breast hit 170 degrees and thighs hit 180 degrees.

I stuck them in the microwave to rest for 10 to 15 mins. before pulling.

So, there you go.

If you want to do them on a gas grill, just do them by indirect heat. Time would be around 1 hour 25 mins. at 325 or 350.

The Weber started cooking at 325 degrees, then settled in at 300 degrees for the rest of the time.

B.D.

No comments: